What will the work include?
Work May include:
- Use of machinery (tiller, mower, weedwhacker) to prepare beds, weed crops, and maintain gardens
- Weeding, planting, harvesting, washing, and packing vegetables and flowers, using basic skills, hand tools, and common sense
- Setting-up displays and helping customers during the weekly On-Campus Market and On-Farm customer pick-up
- Leading tours or work parties of local classes, groups, schools, and your Lafayette College peers
- Setting-up irrigation systems
- Harvesting flower bouquets
- Designing and implementing building projects, including use of basic power tools, hand tools, and human ingenuity
- Sharing reflections of your LaFarm work experience with the community at large through photos, creative writing, film, or other media for our LaFarm website
- A whole host of other work: web design, event planning, garden design, tree planting, soil testing, cover crop management, cooking demos, marketing, data organization, carpentry, farm art installations, sign-making… if you’ve got a skill, we’ve probably got a farm-based application. Join us.
What skills are required?
Student Farm Crew must be willing and able to:
- Work in all weather conditions, including rain, cold, humidity, and heat, while wearing a mask or face covering
- Lift at least 25 pounds.
- Bring water, snacks, sun protection, closed-toe shoes, and a hat to work each day. Come prepared & ready to work.
- Be flexible, organized, efficient, and work as part of a team
- Talk & work at the same time: having fun doesn’t mean you should stop picking tomatoes
- Show-up to work on-time: you will be part of a team that is counting on you!
- Wake-up early! Position may include early morning hours (7 a.m.) especially during the heat of the summer.
What is the compensation and work schedule?
Schedule and Compensation:
- Competitive pay based on experience and work ethic, with opportunities for raises at regular intervals. Starting wage $9/ hour
- Free farm vegetables available throughout May-December
- Commitment of a minimum of 6 hours per week
- Flexible hours and schedule based on your needs and availability
- Part time positions during the Fall and Spring Semesters
- Full or Part time positions during the Summer