What will the work include?
Work May include:
- Use of machinery (tiller, mower, weedwhacker) to prepare beds, weed crops, and maintain gardens
- Weeding, planting, harvesting, washing, and packing vegetables and flowers, using basic skills, hand tools, and common sense
- Setting-up displays and helping customers during the weekly On-Campus Market and On-Farm customer pick-up
- Leading tours or work parties of local classes, groups, schools, and your Lafayette College peers
- Setting-up irrigation systems
- Harvesting flower bouquets
- Designing and implementing building projects, including use of basic power tools, hand tools, and human ingenuity
- Sharing reflections of your LaFarm work experience with the community at large through photos, creative writing, film, or other media for our LaFarm website
- A whole host of other work: web design, event planning, garden design, tree planting, soil testing, cover crop management, cooking demos, marketing, data organization, carpentry, farm art installations, sign-making… if you’ve got a skill, we’ve probably got a farm-based application. Join us.
What skills are required?
Student Farm Crew must be willing and able to:
- Work in all weather conditions, including rain, cold, humidity, and heat, while wearing a mask or face covering
- Lift at least 25 pounds.
- Bring water, snacks, sun protection, closed-toe shoes, and a hat to work each day. Come prepared & ready to work.
- Be flexible, organized, efficient, and work as part of a team
- Talk & work at the same time: having fun doesn’t mean you should stop picking tomatoes
- Show-up to work on-time: you will be part of a team that is counting on you!
- Wake-up early! Position may include early morning hours (7 a.m.) especially during the heat of the summer.
What is the compensation and work schedule?
Schedule and Compensation:
- Competitive pay based on experience and work ethic, with opportunities for raises at regular intervals
- Free farm vegetables available throughout June-August
- Commitment of a minimum of 5 hours per week
- Flexible hours and schedule based on your needs and availability
- No full time positions are available
How do I apply?
To Apply: Please send a cover letter and resumé to Lisa Miskelly at email@example.com.
Please (1) describe why you are interested in the position, (2) include what days and times you are regularly available, and how many hours you would like to work per week, and (3) let us know if you possess transportation to/ from LaFarm from home or campus.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis until all positions are filled!