Duties and Responsibilities:
Regular duties include picking-up food waste from Upper, loading food waste and organic materials into Earth Tubs, turning Earth Tubs, and monitoring & recording compost temperatures. Depending on your interest and initiative, potential for expanded duties include developing and managing research related to improving our compost system using different timing, temperatures, and materials, and presenting about compost production to classes, clubs, Sustainability events, or conferences at a future date.
A passion for sustainability, regenerative agriculture, and environmentalism is encouraged though not required. In order to perform the difficult and dirty work of sustainability, it is helpful for one to have a passion for the reasons behind the work. We compost to return nutrients back to the farm in a closed-loop system, while also keeping food waste out of landfills. Help make a difference at Lafayette and see the direct positive impact your work can make on the world around you—in the first five weeks of collection we composted over 4,500 pounds of food waste!
Priority will be given to students with a clean driving record and possessing a valid driver’s license for 1 year or more who are able to become a certified driver in order to drive college-owned golf carts for food waste pick-up and delivery.
Student Composting Managers must be willing and able to:
- Work in all weather conditions, including rain and snow, cold and heat
- Lift at least 35 pounds
- Wear safety materials, including rain gear, slip resistant boots, and gloves
- Deal with a variety of smells omitted by food waste and the natural biological breakdown processes
- Drive and/ or ride in a campus golf cart, practicing safety and responsibility
- Demonstrate responsibility by possessing keys to multiple campus facilities
- Be flexible, organized, efficient, and work as part of a team
Schedule and Compensation:
- Pay begins at $9.50/ hour with opportunities for raises at regular intervals
- Commitment of 2+, 1 hour shifts per week during day-time hours (Monday-Friday only)
- Availability to fill-in for other compost managers as needed